Sunday, Michael Langston was playing video games in the living room of his Bradenton FL home when he took a bite of a sandwich and a piece got lodged in his windpipe.
Fox 13 Tampa has video of the incident. You see Langston struggling when he realizes he can’t breathe. He rushes to get the attention of his six-year-old stepson Keegan. "He was patting his chest, so I realized he was choking," Keegan recalls. So Keegan ran to get his big sister Peyton, who wastes no time in performing the Heimlich maneuver on Langston, thrusting twice and dislodging the food from his throat. Tabitha, Peyton’s mom couldn’t have been more proud of her daughter. "As soon as I got home from work, we immediately went to get ice cream," Parker says. "But I don't think she truly understood the gravity of what she did."
Mom Tabitha is a Manatee County paramedic, and had just recently taught her children how to do the Heimlich maneuver. And Langston is thankful that she’d taught them it, too. "I'd be dead if it wasn't for them," he says. "It's mind-blowing, you know, and it's scary, but I've never been more proud." Tabitha now plans to teach both of her children CPR, too. She says you never know when it might save a life.