Anna Strzelecki may only be 10, but she knew something wasn’t right as she was getting ready for school one day. The Fort Wayne Indiana tween heard a strange noise coming from their garage and she continued to tell her mom to check it out. Mom, Heather didn't hear anything and thought Anna was fooling around. but Anna wouldn't stop so finally Heather went out to the garage, and when she did? It was fully engulfed in flames.
Thanks to Anna’s insistence, the family was able to escape safely, but they didn’t have a chance to grab their pets. Luckily, the Huntertown Fire Department was able to save S’mores and Scarlett, their guinea pigs, after giving them oxygen, and they saved their rabbits, too.
“The mindset just to go ‘hey something’s not right’, is not something that is taught everywhere,” points out Huntertown Fire Chief Robert Boren. “This is an exceptional little girl and on top of it and astute to everything going on.”