Here’s the story…
- The dad shared on Reddit that he’s been “increasingly worried” about his 22-year-old daughter’s weight gain, insisting it’s not an “aesthetic issue," and that he has "genuine concerns about her health."
- The daughter’s currently in a graduate program that the dad pays for as long as she keeps a part-time job to pay for her bills, expenses, food and the like, although the dad says his daughter often complains that she wishes she made more money.
- The dad notes that he’s tried to bring up her weight and she’s seemed “quite receptive” even though she hasn’t really done anything about it.
- He then thought of the idea that might motivate her – he’d pay her $15 an hour for every hour that she goes to the gym, hoping it would encourage her to work out more, and prompt her to adopt some healthy eating.
- His wife was not down with the idea and thought it was “disgusting.”
So, how does the Internet feel about this dad’s idea?
- Some folks didn’t see anything wrong with it, with one person noting “It’s nice that you’re so supportive and invested in your child.”
- But others were horrified by the dad’s suggestion, many noting it could damage the father/daughter relationship. “Please please please please don't do this," one person pleaded. "My mum has spent the last 10 years of my life trying to control my weight with bribes, with paying for a personal trainer, with all sorts. All it did was push a wedge between us."
- Most noted that losing weight really is a personal decision, and while the dad’s heart may be in the right place, paying the daughter to go to the gym likely won’t fix her problems. Many suggested recommending a nutritionist for the daughter who could help her deal with her food issues.