A new UK poll, which could easily translate here, finds:
- A third of parents say they didn’t give enough thought to their child’s name.
- 73% of parents say they thought of better names after they named their child.
- As for why they regret their kid's name, most say it’s because as their child got older the name no longer suited them.
- Other reasons folks regretted their child’s name include:
- My partner picked it (48%)
- My friend picked the same name for their child (37%)
- They get teased for it at school (32%)
- A celebrity named their child it (26%)
As for the names parents regret the most:
- Aurora tops the list for girls, with 35% of parents regretting that name.
- Hunter is the most regretted boy’s name, with 32% of parents regretting it.
Meanwhile, names that most parents would never give their child right now (for somewhat obvious reasons) include:
- For Boys:
- Boris (76%)
- Donald (62%)
- Manson (43%)
- For Girls:
- Karen (83%)
- Isis (73%)
- Meghan (61%)