With all the early Black Friday “deals” we see advertised, it’s easy to think you can score a discount on everything during the holiday season. Lots of items are discounted right now, but not everything is cheaper. And that’s why it pays to know what’s actually a bargain and what you’re better off waiting to buy later.
November is not the time to purchase certain types of things and these are the ones to avoid:
- Fitness equipment - Sure, you’ll see good deals on some workout gear right now, but some of the best prices happen after the holidays, to help people achieve their New Year’s resolutions. That’s why Consumer Reports recommends January as the best month to buy fitness trackers, scales and home workout equipment.
- Space heaters - These are a hot commodity during the holidays, but if you wait until February, you’re more likely to see steep discounts on space heaters.
- Winter apparel - Since it’s in high demand at this time of year, the real savings on winter clothes doesn’t happen until closer to the end of winter weather, when retailers are trying to make room for bathing suits and shorts.
- Digital cameras - During the holiday season, you can find discounts on digital cameras, but the best time to buy is in January. That’s when you’ll find big savings on electronics not sold for the holidays and when new cameras are released, bringing prices down on older models.
- Fine jewelry - Jewelers tend to sell the most between November and February, so if you want to save, wait until after Valentine’s Day. You’ll find better deals on fine jewelry in March, April, and May.
- Luggage - People tend to travel for the holidays and in the summer, so you won’t see as many discounts at those times. If you can wait until the end of summer, you’ll have better luck.
- Air purifiers - The deals on these happen in March, right before April’s pollen allergies kick in.
- Mattresses - The best time to buy a mattress is in May, during Memorial Day sales, so hold off, if you can.
- Refrigerators - This big ticket item is also worth waiting to buy as new fridges tend to be the cheapest around the Fourth of July, when you may score one for up to 40% off.
- Washers and dryers - You can probably find discounts on washers and dryers during the holidays, but to get the best prices, wait until Labor Day sales in September.