He also awards bonus points for prohibition of smoking on beaches.
Topping the list this year is Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach in the Outer Banks area of North Carolina.
He calls it his favorite beach, with "16 miles of undeveloped beach and American beach grass covered sand dunes." He notes that Ocracoke is an “idyllic island,” with “pristine beaches.” The only SC beach this year is in Kiawah
Dr. Beach’s Top 10 Beaches in the U.S.
- Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach, Outer Banks of North Carolina
- Caladesi Island State Park , Dunedin/Clearwater, Florida
- Coopers Beach, Southampton, New York
- St. George Island State Park, Florida Panhandle
- Duke Kahanamoku Beach, Oahu, HI
- Lighthouse Beach, Buxton, Outer Banks of North Carolina
- Coronado Beach , San Diego, California
- Wailea Beach, Maui, Hawaii,
- Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, South Carolina
- Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts