A new report reveals the biggest fears of each state. The new report is based on Google search metrics.
- The most common fear appears to be Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, a fear of long words, which is the most common fear in 18 states, including Alaska, California, Colorado and Florida.
- Just behind that is Philophobia, a fear of falling in love and getting into relationships, the most common fearin 11 states, including Georgia, Hawaii, Arkansas and more.
- And nine states, including South Carolina, Illinois, Kansas and Mississippi, suffer from Somniphobia, the fear surrounding the thought of going to sleep.
- The most common fear in the world is Agoraphobia, the fear of public spaces, crowds, etc, with 61.67% of all countries reporting it as their most searched for phobia.
Other interesting state phobias include:
- Nomophobia – fear of being without your phone, common in New York, Oregon, Virginia and Tennessee.
- Megalophobia – fear of large things, common in Wyoming, Kentucky and Delaware.
- Ephebiphobia – fear of teenagers, common in Arizona, and Indiana.