According to United Van Lines' "45th Annual National Movers Study:”
- Vermont is the state where most people moved to in 2021, with 74%% of moves to the state being inbound.
- On the flipside, for the fourth year in a row, New Jersey has seen the largest amount of people moving out of the state, with 71% of outbound moves.
- Kentucky and Wyoming are the most “balanced states,” with the same number of residents moving inbound and outbound.
- And it certainly looks like people are moving away from crowded areas with nine of the Top 10 outbound states being densely populated states.
- As for why people moved last year:
- 32.5% of Americans say they moved for a new job or a job transfer.
- 31.8% say they moved to be closer to family.
U.S. States With The Most People Moving In
- South Dakota
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
- Rhode Island
U.S. States With The Most People Moving Out
- New Jersey
- New York