A South Carolina family escaped a house fire thanks to their quick-thinking daughter. Aussie Talbot is being recognized as a hero for saving her parents, sibling and pets from the early morning blaze that broke out in their Summerville home.
The nine-year-old girl sprang into action when she woke up to re-adjust her blanket and noticed the smell of smoke filling the house. Aussie says when she realized it might be a fire, she had one goal: “to wake my parents and get out of the house.”
Fire crews say by the time they arrived just after four in the morning, the house was totally engulfed in flames, but Aussie’s actions kept the bad situation from being much worse. The little girl was able to get her family outside safely and she credits knowing what to do with the fire safety training she learned at school.