Saturday was National Beach Day. So, which beaches are the best in the U.S.? Florida International University professor Stephen Leatherman, a.k.a. Dr. Beach, has once again made his choices for the best beaches in the U.S. The list is based on FIFTY different criteria, like water temperature, sand quality, water color, noise levels and more.
Dr. Beach says the 10th best beach in the country is the best in South Carolina: "South of Charleston, Beachwalker Park is the public beach located on the southern end of Kiawah Island. This is a nature lover's coast so visitors should bring their canoes and kayaks to paddle through the tidal inlets. It is also fun to walk or bike down to Captain Sam’s Inlet to see thousands of birds. The water is not clear, but it is clean and provides fantastic seafood for low-country cooking."
Dr. Beach’s Top Ten Beaches in the U.S.
- Grayton Beach State Park, Santa Rosa Beach, FL
- Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach, Outer Banks, NC
- Coopers Beach, Southampton, NY
- Duke Kahanamoku Beach, Oahu, HI
- Lighthouse Beach, Buxton, Outerbanks, North Carolina
- Caladesi Island State Park, Dunedin/Clearwater, FL
- Hapuna Beach State, Park Big Island, HI
- Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, MA
- Coronado Beach, San Diego, CA
- Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, SC
Here's Dr Beaches site if you want to see his annual top 10 list.