The massive omnibus bill passed the Senate last night 96-0.
What caused all this ‘unity?’ Mitch McConnell said that lawmakers may have been inspired by other good acts being committed across the country during this difficult time. As for what’s in it exactly, there’s something for average Americans. Here’s a breakdown:
- The package will give most Americans who make less than 75-thousand a year a 12-hundred check...if you make more than 99-thousand, you get nothing. Though all families will get an additional 500 for each child. This is based on your 2018 Income tax return.
- There is also billions set aside for small businesses in the form of loans.
- It expands unemployment insurance for workers – boosting the maximum benefit by $600 per week and provide laid-off workers their full pay for four months. Eligibility is extended to independent contractors and the self-employed.
- $150-billion for state and local governments
- $500-billion in loans for larger industries, including $25-billion for passenger airlines; $4-billion for carriers; $3-billion for aviation contractors and $17-billion for "businesses critical to maintaining national security.”
- $367 billion in loans for small businesses. However, if those companies do not lay employees off, those loans will be forgiven.
So it’s passed the Senate, and President Trump says he’ll sign it as soon as it gets to him.
However the fate of the bill in the House is unknown. Speaker Nancy Pelosi has suggested trying to pass it by unanimous consent, since most members are out of town and the body is in recess. However, some members of Congress have raised doubts about the bill and her method would take only one no vote to derail it.
- Have some time while locking down?Read the massive 883-page billHERE.